Good progress

Keeping busy in my shop. Recent ongoings have included a Guild D-40 repair, the completion of a modified drednaught sized guitar and  one of my larger sized guitars on my workbench.

I have been making great progress on this Cocobolo and Redwood acoustic. This baby is getting alot of time and alot of handwork.

Cutting channel for rosette by hand

The bracing on the top and back have been installed , the body has been assembled, the box closed and removed from it’s form. It has been waiting patiently for bindings.

Attaching sound hole brace
Top and back ready for assembly
Cocobolo sides out of form
Top back and sides assembled and out of form
Assembled body. Cocobolo, what a beautiful wood

I decided to try my hand at a bit of complex inlay and cut a vine style inlay into the fingerboard. The inlay is gold/white MOP with Abalone leaves and thorns. This is totally experimental and my finl decision wether I will use this on this guitar is still to be made. Although beautiful, it is a bit flashy.

Vine Inlay on Ebony Fingerboard
Pearl vine inlay on Head-plate

I was playing with combinations of bindings purfling and although I  considered a pearl purfling , I decided to stay in line with the guitars earthy feel and use a wood rope purfling with thin strips of black and red wood and a cocobolo binding to match the rosette, with a thin white strip to separate the binding from the sides from the sides.

That’s it for now, more to come soon. Thanks for looking

Jay

Cocobolo and rope purfling
Advertisements

Bringing life to an old guitar

I recently repaired a well used and hard played Guild D-40 circa 1968. It would not hold tune, the bridge was cracked through the center, the bridge plate was shot, the pick guard was falling off. I had to make a new bridge out of rosewood to an exact match and fit. In the end it played like new.

Image

You can see the process of the repair by following this link   http://jayrosenblatt.smugmug.com/Handbuiltguitars/Guild-D-40-repair